What is Osteopathy?
Osteopathy is a drug-free and non-invasive manual treatment that focuses on the body as a whole by treating and strengthening the musculoskeletal framework, which includes the fascia, joints, muscles and spine, as well as internal organs. Its aim is to positively affect the bodys nervous, circulatory and lymphatic systems. It is a unique holistic approach to health care meaning that I do not just concentrate on treating symptomatic areas, but examine and treat other related parts of the body which might have caused the symptoms. It was Dr. Andrew Taylor Still who established the practice of Osteopathy in the late 1800’s in the United States, with the aim of using manual ‘hands on’ techniques to improve circulation and correct altered biomechanics, without the use of drugs.
What conditions does an osteopath treat?
Osteopathic treatment methods are suitable for both children (in Sweden from the age of 8) as well as adults, and elderly persons. Osteopaths treat more than you think. The most common areas include back pain, pain in neck and shoulder, pelvic pain and pain in hip; no matter if the pain is acute or chronic in nature. Osteopaths treat different kind of headaches, such as tension headache and migraines as well as digestive complaints or constipation. You will get help with sciatica and numbness or radiating pain into arm and leg or impingement of any kind. You will be helped if you suffer from asthma, heartburn or even acid indigestion.
I am specialized to treat the following conditions:
Recurrent symptoms of physical traumas such as whiplash, sciatica, disk herniation and Coccydynia (tailbone pain)
- Neuropathic pain including numbness and tingling sensations in head, arms & legs
- Headaches & migraines
- TMJ disorders including pain or tenderness of your jaw.
- Hip & pelvic pain, pain due to hip replacement & hip arthritis
- Shoulder problems and repetitive strain injury due to work or recreational activities (tennis & golfer’s elbow)
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGIDs), such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), constipation & diarrhea
- Menstrual Problems like heavy cramps and/ or bleeding
- Pre and post pregnancy conditions like swollen limbs, carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), back & neck pain
- Asthma, difficulties breathing & problems with posture
The list is long, so feel free to contact me prior to your booking if you are not sure. What techniques or modalities do I use during an osteopathic manipulative treatment? The philosophy in Osteopathy is what sets it apart from other medical disciplines such as chiropractic or physiotherapy. Whereas chiropractors mainly focus on treating the spine and physiotherapist on massage and rehab, an osteopath will examine the area of complaint but also look at the body as a whole and will treat the spine, if necessary, but also tissues around the complaint or further away from it. Osteopaths are highly trained to manually locate points of restriction or excessive strain in various parts of the body using a finely tuned sense of touch or palpation. Internal (physical and emotional) and external (lifestyle, eating habits and workplace ergonomics) factors are taken into consideration. Treatment modalities differ from patient to patient depending on the individual’s state of health, history of trauma and length of complaint. I would also say that an osteopath has more tools in the “toolbox” using a variety of treatment modalities.
Examples of treatment techinques an osteopath can use:
• Manipulation of joints to restore normal mobility where the mobility is reduced
• Mobilization of joints and ligaments that may have an anti-inflammatory and pain reducing effect
• Gentle soft tissue stretching, trigger point release and muscular energy techniques to relax the muscles and increase the mobility of the joints
• Balanced ligamentous tension techniques
• Myofascial release and lymphatic drainage techniques to improves fluid circulation and thereby reducing inflammation
• Visceral osteopathy for constipation or diarrhea, menstrual pain and infertility
• Cranial osteopathy is used for stress, digestive problems and anxiety problems
• Trigger point threapy
The key principles of Osteopathy are:
• All parts of the body function as a unit and thereby in an integrated manner. If one part of the body is restricted, then the rest of the body must adapt and compensate, eventually leading to inflammation, pain, stiffness and other health conditions.
• Osteopaths respect the body’s natural ability of self-regulation which keeps itself in balance.
• When the body is free of restrictions in movement, osteopathic treatment assists the body with different techniques to reduce pain and stress and provide greater mobility with the opportunity to heal itself.
What are the general benefits of an osteopathic manipulative treatment?
An osteopathic treatment aims to improve function of musculoskeletal structures, which provides better conditions for flexibility, dynamics, stamina and strength, and reduces the risk of injury. Some techniques can help you get faster healing and recovery, others can increase your performance, whether you’re a professional athlete or exercise for fun. Osteopathic treatment can be used preventatively and on a regular basis to maintain mobility and stability of the body’s joints in general, but also to maintain the body’s circulatory, nervous and lymphatic system functions to improve the body’s health and to support its overall balance. This, combined with a good dietary and exercise plan, can enhance a patients well-being and often lead to a more positive approach to individual health responsibility. An osteopath treats and minimizes symptoms of acute, sub-acute and chronic conditions as well as symptoms of very specific injuries.
What to expect in your first treatment session
The first visit will always begin with a case history similar to an initial visit to a GP. I will not only ask about the actual complaints, but also about current lifestyle and dietary habits. I will ask you about your medical history and past accidents or traumas, even if they may seem unrelated to your current problem. Then you will be examined manually, meaning that you may be asked to remove some outer clothing and to perform some simple movements. You may wish to wear loose comfortable clothing where this is practical. If necessary I will perform orthopedic and/or neurological tests to eliminate possible underlying pathologies and differentiate the basis of your complaint. I will observe your body posture to identify any obvious mobility impairment and evaluate posture.
The initial consultation will take around 45 to 60 minutes to complete, after which I will be able to offer a diagnosis and discuss a treatment program. Follow-up treatments usually take around 30 to 40 minutes. Treatment could include various techniques. If the diagnosis is one that requires further investigation or specialist intervention, I will suggest a referral to an appropriate practitioner. Osteopaths often treat in conjunction with a GP, dentist, podiatrist or other health care professional.
Because osteopathy emphasizes self-healing, I may also advise dietary changes, home exercise programs and lifestyle adjustments. All treatment programs are highly individualized and depend on the patient’s current condition, past history, and ability to adapt to change. Most simple problems often require only 1-3 treatments. Children should always be accompanied.
Adult (over 16): 750 SEK
3 treatments: 2.100 SEK (valid for 2 months)
5 treatments: 3.500 SEK (valid for 4 months)
Child (8-16): 550 SEK
10% discount for students and senior citizens
The first visit can take up to 60 minutes. I would like to point out that you are not paying for a certain period of time but rather for my knowledge and that follow-up treatments may sometimes be longer or shorter than 40 minutes.
Invoice (if agreed before treatment)
New Clients Special Offer for 2.100 kr / 3 treatments
You as a new client you have the opportunity to test osteopathic treatment. The first treatment may take around 60 minutes, the remaining two sessions will take about 30-45 minutes. In order to take part of this offer you have to take all three treatments within two months and payment is due at the first visit.
You need to give me at least 24 hours of notice if you wish to cancel your appointment. You will always get a reminder 28 hours before you appointment. This helps me accommodate those who may be waiting. If you miss your appointment without cancellation or simply don’t show up you will be invoiced 100% of the treatment fee.
Thank you for your understanding.